How To Enjoy ‘Trigger Foods’ Without Feeling Guilty
It’s hard enough to fight the urge to pull up in a restaurant’s drive-thru and order all those ‘forbidden’ foods. While you go out with friends or colleagues and play safely while ordering food, your lunch date gets to enjoy anything with no guilt.
But it’s quite a challenge to keep pushing away those urges, especially when you’re in the mood for some comfort food. You are then riddled with guilt and can’t stop bingeing on them. This issue leads to further weight gain and insecurity, along with other food disorders such as anorexia and bulimia nervosa.
There’s no shame if you are going through any kind of eating disorder. Demi Lovato, a famous American pop singer and actress, has shared several stories of her overeating accidents, leading her to multiple weight-related issues. Even Lady Diana went through a tough spell of bulimia nervosa.
What is meant by “trigger food’?
To be “triggered” has a vast meaning, but when it is related to food, it could be defined as an eating disorder. Trigger food could bring that person back to those unhealthy eating habits and routines, leading to emotional and physical distress. These foods don’t always have to be consumed from hunger or cravings but are just addicting for the consumer. Triggers can happen anywhere and at any moment. It can be caused just by sight, memory, or even smell. Even emotional instability or a stressful day can bring you back to where it all started.
Common types of forbidden foods
If you wish to remove these foods from your diet to get a better grip on yourself, then you have to find replacements for them to work. Here are some common types of trigger foods that people struggle with:
- Candies and dairy products: These contain a high concentration of addicting sugar that is most likely to lead to binge habits. You could replace such products with either sugar and fat-free products or dried fruits.
- Fizzy drinks: This is another product loaded with sugars, food coloring, and high levels of fructose that lead to a sugar rush. Many companies have started manufacturing diet drinks or zero-calorie products that taste just the same but don’t harm your body.
- Fried food products: Deep-fried foods such as wings or fries have a unique taste, and the consumer feels a unique satisfaction when they see oil dripping from their food. These dishes could instead be air fried with little to no oil or baked similarly.
How to manage your trigger foods
Having trigger foods doesn’t necessarily mean cutting out those dishes from your life permanently; instead, you could:
- Portioning every meal is just enough to satisfy your cravings but not enough to lead to binge eating.
- Plan to deal with your triggers through meditation, therapy, group meetings, or looking for distractions.
- If you are emotionally unwell, then find ways to cope with those emotions rather than going back to your old habits and munching all those feelings away.
- Only expose yourself to those types of food with someone around you. Having a trusted fellow with you could help with your cravings.
Top 5 Blockbuster TV Shows To Watch In The Last Month Of The Year
We are headed toward the end of the year, and as we come closer to the end, there are lots of...December 6, 2022
Here’s How Nature Is The Best Way To De-Stress
Do you spend most of your day glued to a phone, computer, tablet, or other screens? If the answer is yes, it is...December 6, 2022
Beauty Experts Share Signs For When Your Favourite Makeup Has Gone Bad
Even if you’re not a professional makeup artist, makeup bags tend to fill up with old products. Many people who wear...December 5, 2022
Burn Calories To Enjoy Quality Sleep With These Tried & Tested Tips
A good night’s sleep is the world’s most prized possession. People take tons of medicines just to enjoy a long and...December 1, 2022
Here’s How You Can Have An Effective Work Out Even During The Heat Days
Fitness enthusiasts would hate to hear this, but it seems as though the weather has been predicted by the MET office...November 30, 2022
Tips To Help Deal With Being Overwhelmed By Stressful News
Sometimes, it can seem difficult to escape a bad news story. News broadcasts play a prominent role in our lives and...November 25, 2022
How Does Nature Impact Our Wellbeing?
With school and college classes in full swing, it’s easy to become engrossed in your computer. But remember, Autumn isn’t just...November 23, 2022
Fellowship And Companionship: Health Benefits of Friendship
Most people consider their closest friends to be the most important people in their lives. However, not all friends are good....November 23, 2022
7 Day Plan to Put An End to Your Sugar Cravings
Have you been struggling with cutting down or eliminating sugar from your diet? Well, today, we have a unique dietitian-approved challenge...November 7, 2022
You must be logged in to post a comment Login